Friday 26 August 2016

Lake Pier, Hamworthy with Milky Way

I had been planning this shot for some time and would have preferred to take a few weeks earlier when the Milky Way was in line with the pier but the weather or other commitments got in the way.
On the 22nd of August I decided to set my scope up at home and shoot the North America nebula and leave it running for an hour or so whilst I drove 5 or 6 miles to this location. The roads were very quite at midnight so it didn't take me long. When I arrived it was dark and very peaceful. The sea was very still with virtually no wind. It wasn't easy focusing as I couldn't see much in the viewfinder. Framing the image was just as difficult as I wanted to get the Pier in the middle. I was at the pier about 35 minutes then made my way back home to find the telescope still guiding perfectly and just coming up to a meridian flip. It all worked out well but next time I'm going to only do one thing at a time so I could spend more than 35 minutes here. I also want to use my home made tracking device so that I can improve the star trailing when using a tripod.

No comments:

Post a Comment